Thursday, August 14, 2014

Storytime - Mordheim - Dinner



I am utterly exhausted.  I thought I was more than prepared to take on this task.  All I want to do is rest.  Right now the bare rocky ground would be welcomed.  My eyelids are so heavy, my muscles are so sore.  We enter the building.  I don’t have a room of my own to slink into so I shuffle toward the great room.  That makeshift cot is there.  Ah, sleep.  Brat Khresti has left me to go to his quarters.  I open the door daydreaming and yearning for the approaching sleep.

Oh man…

The disappointment was evident on my face.  Eight sets of eyes look up at me.  I think I’ve interrupted dinner.  Dinner.  Yeah, yeah, I am hungry.  I pull up a chair and reach for some bread.  The eyes that looked up at me now pierced my skin.  Just the weight of the stares stops my hand.

"Hungry?"  Kihot questioned.

"Yeah."  I said sheepishly

"Do you think that's for you?"

"Uhm..."

"What did you do to earn that?"

"Nothing"

"Do you still think you should do that?"

"I need food.  I can go get some bread from my bag, I can pitch in."

"I don't think you can."

The fearful look on my face was now replaced by a look of confusion.

"That is the bread from your bag.  It's a treat for us. No mold.  We couldn't resist."  Kihot chuckled.

The confusion was replaced with relief.

"Dig in!"

No comments:

Post a Comment