Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Story Time - Mordheim - Now



Training?  What did he mean?  I already know how to fight, search, what could they need to train me on?  I came here to fight.  I came here because I had nothing left.  I needed some reason to be on this planet.  But I don’t need training.  I have my sword; I have my health and my wits…  I should be out there.  I can fight.  What am I doing here? 

I begin to gather my things.  I will fight today.  As I reach for the door it begins to open.  I slide quickly in behind it with my weapon at the ready.

They came in with their heads hung low.   Extra dirt and blood adorned their garments.  The party was short one.  I didn’t have to ask but I heard the words escape from my mouth.

“Where’s Povahu?”

No answer.  None was needed.

The returning members continued silently into their rooms.  Doors closed sharply and soon I was alone again in the corridor.  Then I heard the moan of well-worn hinges under the great weight of one of the doors.  Brat Khresti appeared in the hall; he looked me in the eye and then turned his gaze to the great room at the end of the corridor.  I followed him to the room and closed the door behind me.
_______________________________________________________________

Brat Khresti's eyes were dark and serious.  He looked at me and I felt his stare go down into my soul.  We sat silently at the large table.  I was not about to be the first to speak, I couldn't.

Brat Khresti began, "Remember I told you we'd been expecting you?  I witnessed you in a dream.  I discussed it with the other members of the order.  What I didn't tell them is that I also saw the fall of Povahu.  I knew nothing good could come of the others knowing of today's events.  I thought we'd have more time.  All of your life's events have led up to this.  You are to be our new Witch Hunter.  You must go through your training now."

"What if I decline?"  The words had escaped without a thought.  I shocked myself.

"The door's not locked.  You may leave whenever you want."

We sat in silence for what seemed an eternity.

"I'm not going anywhere.  When do we start?"

No comments:

Post a Comment