Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Story Time - Mordheim - Daybreak

Daybreak

The night was ending.  A reddish glow began seeping into the room through small gaps in the boarded up windows.  I wiped the sleep from my eyes, this was the best sleep I had gotten in ages.  I sat up from my make shift cot in the corner to find the room empty of all other life.  I made my way to the door pulling it open revealing the hallway from the night before.

The morning glow illuminated featured I didn't notice the night past.  Multiple doors stood on either side of the hallway separated by spans of old wooden walls.  Some wall sections were adorned with once beautiful tapestries depicting the former glory of the city.  Why had the comet seemingly spared this building?

I was startled by a creaking door opening near the other end of the hall.  Brat Khresti appeared in the hallway and came toward me.

"Morning.  Come, there is much to do."
_____________________________________________________________________________

The streets of the city produced their all too familiar smells.  The moldy wood was only slightly covered by the ever-present odor of rotting fish.  Always the fish?!  The dust covered streets were devoid of life at this hour.  Soon, what was left of the people of this city would be venturing out.  The light of day brought with it some security, enough to try to go about with normal living.  The streets were slightly safer once the sun was up.  The sun keeps away the man sized vermin and the living dead that haunt this town at night.

The City of the Damned.  That's what the rest of the Empire calls us.  What else could describe all of the vile filth, evil, and greed that this wretched comet has caused us.  I don't subscribe to comet being a blessing.  I just want to find the Wyrd Stone to keep it out of the hands of those who would use it to destroy and enslave.  It holds no value to me outside of that.  Some say we can use the power of the stones to rid this once great city of all that plagues us.  But I think those people see it as a way to take power for themselves.  How many gold crowns does a rich man need?  Just one more.

Brat Khresti has been looking to the south.  What does he see? How long has he been staring?  Do I say anything?  My questions are all answered as he turns his gaze to me.

"Your training will have to wait."

"Training?"

"Keep the door closed." was his final order to me.  With that I closed the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment