Thursday, January 4, 2018

Weekly Update - 1st Week of January - New Toys

Over Christmas, I received two new toys to use for my hobbying.  The Proxxon Hot Wire table for terrain and an Iwata Neo airbrush.  I intend to do a bunch of cleaning and reorganizing first... but I was too anxious to get to playing.

For the wire table, I cut up some foam scraps I had lying around.  These pieces might find their way into some future projects.  We'll see.

Harder than I thought.

The current rip fence I have (the one that came with it) is not heavy duty enough for me.  I think I'll look into other options.

Before the holiday I never considered getting an airbrush, but I got one and now I'm super excited about it.  I bought a lot of the goodies to go with it.  Special thanks to a buddy that helped me out with what I needed.  My first use of the airbrush was just learning on some paper.  I cant wait to do more!

The extras:


Compressor.  I went with a cheap airbrush compressor.  From what I could gather it has all the options I was suggested to get.  Station.  This was a simple but important suggestion.  I didn't even know about them.  Protection.  Respirator, gloves, and the compressor is super quiet so the ear plugs were overkill.

Fluids:


I will be spraying with a vent and in my "cold room" eventually, but that room needs to be reorganized first.

I know I'll find more stuff I need but this is a start.

I looked up suggestions and recipes for making your own air brush thinner and cleaner.  Here's what I'm going to start with.  All ratios are approximate and subject to change:

DWFA: 95% distilled water, 5% flow aid; this is a base mix I'll be using for a lot of things.

AB Medium:  70% DWFA, 30% matte medium
AB Cleaner:  40% DWFA, 40% glass cleaner, 20% isopropyl alcohol

I decided to do some priming too:


First lessons learned:
1.  Need practice with the trigger.  I either let out no paint or way to much.
2.  Keep moving.  Avoid webs and puddles.
3.  It takes more paint than I thought.  Took 12 drops to prime that cargo box thing.
4.  Maybe I need to adjust the pressure?
5.  Paint dries on the needle very fast.  May add retarder to my ABM mix.

I'll be playing more and trying to learn.  Both of my new tools will take some getting used to.

1 comment:

  1. Heck yah! Airbrush! Excited to see what you come up with. Maybe I will have to finally invest in one myself...

    ReplyDelete